Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sweetest Taboo by, Eva Márquez

SYNPOSIS:

Isabel Cruz was fifteen years old when she met Tom Stevens. She was fifteen when they started dating, and 16 when she lost her virginity to him. By the time she turned 18 and went to college, everything had fallen apart.

This hadn't been an ordinary love, though. Not a love between two dear friends, or even high school sweethearts. This had been the most taboo sort of love there was: a relationship between a student and her teacher. Isabel started her high school career as a normal student, but set her sights on Tom Stevens as soon as she met him, and pursued with an intense-and sometimes reckless-fascination. When he finally approached her after swim practice and told her he shared her feelings, it was the start of a forbidden and dangerous relationship.

Join Isabel as she makes her way through this dark love story, hiding from teachers, lying to her parents, and defying the authorities to make a life with a man she loves. Watch as she discovers the wonders of love and romance, and the terrible betrayal of jealous friends. And cry with her when she learns the hard truth about life and the people in her world.

Sweetest Taboo by the true and tragic stories of students who fall in love with their teachers, and live with the hard truths of forbidden romances. In a world full of after school specials on sexual predators, this touching book seeks a different path, casting both student and teacher in a gental light, and showing true love may lie at the base of even the most illicit romances.

REVIEW:

This book fascinated me as well as made my stomach turn. I feel this book pushed a lot of limits, not bad-but extremely controversial. I have to give it to the author though, she was able to take a very hushed topic and make you feel raw emotions. Her writing was beautiful, which made it hard for me to put it down. I still feel the main character, Isabel was blinded by lust, forbidden was the right word, something off limits she had to have. Its like telling a toddler not to touch the laptop, or something not for them- of course they are going to want to touch it. This is a real subject that does happen in real life, some people are going to dislike it and some may love it. This is an adult book, but teens do go through this, so maybe this is a new adult book. Either way its a topic that needs to be discussed more, kodos to the author for taking a totally different direction.

I give this book four****stars. I debated on a three star rating because the content left me baffled. To clear it up this man discussed me, bit in the end the authors great writing and story telling won me over.

CHARACTERS:

*Isabel-The main female character, who in my view was not in love, blinded yes, lusted after a teacher and married man. I don't know if I can blame her, at her age she knows wrong from right, but her mind is still impressionable. She was a baby still, and I believe Tom took advantage.

*Tom- For lack of better words was a pedophile. Love? Are you freakin kidding me. What happened to the love you had for your WIFE. The way this character made me feel was--skin crawling! Nothing about this man was ok, to even act on feeling for a student. Blah I have to stop or I will rant.


No comments:

Post a Comment