Thursday, December 13, 2012

REVIEW SLIDING bNEATH THE SURFACE!

A new resident of America’s oldest and most haunted city, St. Augustine, Florida, fifteen-year-old Jeff Golden suddenly finds himself up to his eyeballs in frightening paranormal experiences. At the end of his rope in trying to figure out what is happening to him, Jeff decides to rely on his friend Carla Rodriguez, and Lobo, an old Native American shaman, for help.

Despite this guidance, things get even worse. Jeff’s spine tingling encounters increase in number and intensity at an alarming rate, scaring him even more. Eventually, he makes the startling discovery that unresolved circumstances involving a bloody event directly out of Florida’s distant past threatens his sanity and possibly his life.

Finally, overwhelmed by forces he cannot understand or control, Jeff’s world shifts from frightening to downright terrifying. In desperation, and on Lobo’s advice, he leaps headlong into the unknown in order to save himself. What Jeff discovers though is that he has entered a level of reality he is completely unprepared to handle while unwittingly dragging Carla with him.

Like all the books in THE ST. AUGUSTINE TRILOGY, the premise for Sliding Beneath the Surface is simply this: You create your own reality.

BOOK EXCERPT:

Someone called my name as if from very far away. It sounded like Carla, but I couldn't tell for sure.
I kept staring at the stained glass window with its surrounding mirrors and the clear glass oval as it hung there in the fog all by itself.

"Jeff?" It was Carla's voice. Carla and Lobo somehow appeared directly in front of me with the stained glass window behind them set in its door as it should be. How that all happened so quickly I had no idea.
The fog was gone and Lobo's house looked like it did when I first saw it. Once again, I stood on the porch.

"Are you OK?" Carla asked in a worried voice. "What is it? What's going on?"

I didn't say anything at first. Guess I was just too stunned. The change out of that horrible, dark fog had been so quick I found it hard to believe I had come back to Carla and Lobo. Where I had gone, I didn't know, but Lobo's words leaped into my mind: "Worlds within worlds within worlds."
MY REVIEW

When I was asked to review this novel, I was iffy. This book was told in the perspective of a fifteen-year-old  boy named Jeff. I'm not a fan of the male perspective, yet this novel changed my mind. I was intrigued from the first couple chapters when the introduced Carla's neighbor Lobo. I loved that it had a paranormal theme in it. The only thing it was lacking more of, was romance. This probably being one reason not like the persepective in this way. The characters mushed together well, the action was on point. And I never could have guess what was going to happen in the end. Which now a days, its hard to find anything with a suprising ending, that only deserved the high star rating.

Now my usual read, but none the less it was a delightful read. The author did a wonderful job at tell Jeff's story. I will be looking forward to reading more for this author. This is a younger teen novel, and I recommend this to anyone who loves a good paranormal read.

I give this novel four stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment